Die Design for PDC parts- Design Considerations, Process, Manufacturing and Troubleshooting
The program shall focus on the following topics:
- Basic concepts of the die-casting process
- Understanding the Cold chamber machine and PQ² (flow characteristics) of the machine
- Study of part drawing and / or 3D model and understanding the product’s end-requirement
- Basic guidelines for designing the die-casting die
- Parting line geometry
- Feed and runner system
- Thermal balancing the die
- Ejection system of the casting
- Mechanical strength requirement and fulfilment in the die design
- How to do process FMEA and build the die-design anticipating the likelihood of defects in advance
- Simulation and course correction to reduce rejection
- Case study with sharing of experience
Die-casting is a metal casting process, wherein the molten metal is injected at very high pressure to produce parts with good dimensional accuracy. To cast the parts at high pressure, a die casting machine is used. This application finds uses is many areas such as Automobile, Aviation, Telecommunication, hydraulics & pneumatics parts, electrical and so on.
A few examples to mention are Two-wheeler engine crank cases, cover kick starters, cylinder head, cylinder barrel, four-wheeler Alloy wheels, 2 wheeler front and rear wheel hub, 2-wheeler carburettor, earth moving equipment hydraulic valves, 4 wheeler air brake parts, to name a few.
The die-cast die & mould design is an iterative process that determines the contour of die cast parts and affect its properties. Following a systematic design process will always lead to better outcomes. This program shall cover how to design a die-cast part suitable for high pressure die-casting, wherein guidelines are given for ensuring trouble free casting production of parts.
Keeping this in mind, IMTMA is organizing a 5 day online programme to impart training on Fundamentals of pressure die-cast parts die design.
At the end of the program, a participant shall:
- Learn the machine characteristics and importance ofPQ² diagram
- Understand on how to decide the gate based on the product castings' end requirements
- Understand how to decide the parting line
- Know how to calculate the gate area, runner area, selection of Plunger diameter
- Know the minimum and maximum FILL-RATIO to be designed for the given casting part
- Understand the efficient method of designing the cooling circuit for the die inserts
- Know how to calculate the Deflection of the housing and how to overcome
- Get an understanding of the die casting defects in the design stage and avoid
- Know how to read the simulation results and take remedies in the die design
Enquire About This Programme