Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) system eliminates ambiguities in engineering drawings and brings out the designer's intent very clearly. It ensures seamless communication between design, engineering, manufacturing and quality teams across the entire organization enabling them to work in a concurrent engineering environment. Application of GD&T system helps to reduce the manufacturing and inspection costs drastically.
This programme will focus on understanding the system of GD & T and the methods of applying it in real time designs.
• Tolerance, types of tolerances, why tolerance is required, and how tolerance is decided
• History, Introduction and understanding the need for GD & T
• Fundamental rules of GD&T per ASME. Coordinate VS geometric tolerancing
• Definitions of Terms and Symbols, FOS,FCF,DRF, Rule#1 or Taylor principle
• Definition of datums’ and DOF restrained by primary, secondary and tertiary datums
• Selection of datums based on design / manufacturing / Inspection requirements
• Wooden/plastic prototypes: Part/assy prototypes used for effective training
• Form and orientation tolerances and applications
• Location, runout and profile tolerances and applications
• Tolerance concepts, MMC / LMC / RFS and their applications
• Calculation of bonus tolerance per MMC / LMC
• Inspection methods and Animations for form tolerances and important concepts
After undergoing the programme, the participants will be able to -
1.Understand the concepts of GD&T features and correctly interpret GD&T symbols in Engineering Drawings
2.Learn about using tolerances at RFS, MMC and LMC conditions and Calculate Bonus tolerance.
3.Gain a practical insight into inspection of GD&T features using conventional methods, Co-ordinate Measuring Machine and functional gauges.
4.Implement GD&T controls for a new project with proper selection of datum features.
IMTMA Members/ Micro Companies/ Individuals/ Educational Institutions / Students/ IMTMA Non Members/ Others